The goal of this course is to provide an interactive learning experience about acute injury in a person who has chronic pain.
The intended audience for this course includes public health professionals, healthcare providers, and pre-licensure students in the fields of pain management and education.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain how cultural, institutional, societal, and regulatory influences affect assessment and management of pain.
- Use valid and reliable tools for measuring pain and associated symptoms to assess and reassess related outcomes as appropriate for the clinical context and population.
- Demonstrate the inclusion of patient and others in education and shared decision-making process for pain care.
- Develop a treatment plan that takes into account the differences between acute pain, acute on chronic pain, chronic/persistent pain.
- Describe the role, scope of practice, and contribution of the different professions within a pain management care team.
- Assess the implementation of an individualized pain management plan that integrates the perspectives of patient, their social support systems, and health care providers in the context of available resources.
- Discuss communication with patients, families, communities, and other health professional in a responsive and responsible manner that supports a team approach to the maintenance of health and the treatment of disease.
Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals
- 4A1. Describes the concept of diversity as it applies to individuals and populations (e.g., language, culture, values, socioeconomic status, geography, education, race, gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, profession, religious affiliation, mental and physical abilities, historical experiences).
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
- Kathleen Sluka, PhD
- Dana Dailey, PT, PhD (Lead)
- Joseph Chen, MD
- Carol Gorney, MPAS, PA-C
- Linda Hand, PhD
- Jen Lee, PhD
- Barbara St. Marie, PhD, ANP, GNP
- Sara Sanders, PhD, MSW
- John Swegle, PharmD
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
October 10, 2017